*Sometimes I send the entire email and, at other times, I break it into smaller portions...
Ms. Gill's "Intro to Inner Child Work" Email Content:
Here is some more info on how embark upon a relationship and connection with your Inner Child. Just take it one baby-step at a time...
1. CREATE A SAFE PLACE FOR YOURSELF
- Ideally, this will be somewhere in your home.
- You should have the ability to lock the door and take some "private time" in this space.
- Fill it with things that give you a sense of comfort on a primal level.
- Think about the 5 senses:
Touch: perhaps, a soft blanket and/or pillow that makes you feel safe and comforted when you're wrapped up in it or when you hold onto it.
Taste: What foods immediately make you feel safe and soothed and loved?
Smell: What smells?... Incense?... Candles? (always practice safe incense and candle burning!)
See: What colors?... or pictures?
Hear: What sounds?... Perhaps, try downloading one of those apps on your phone that provides nature sounds?
*Art supplies are also highly recommended --- nothing fancy. Some crayons will do.
2. CREATE A RITUAL
- Each day, set aside some time to spend in your safe place.
- Comfort your Little Girl: wrap her up in your blanket, let her hold a pillow, sip on her hot coco (or whatever that food/drink is, for her), listen to the waves roll in (or whatever sound that is, for her), look outside the window (or whatever colors or pictures calm her), etc.
- Allow yourself time to just "be" with her. Secure her. Let her know that you love her and that you will always be here for her.
- Invite her to share and feel, only if she wants to (her choice). And secure her by letting her know that, if she does want to share and feel, you are here to listen, acknowledge, validate, comfort and protect her as she feels and shares.
- The 5 basic feelings are: Happy, Sad, Mad, Hurt & Scared... but there are also several degrees of each.
Here are some "Feelings Charts" that can help you to identify your internal experiences:
TAKE THE TIME TO HONOR HER...
***Listen, acknowledge, validate, comfort, secure, support, encourage, love.
If she's happy, play and draw.
If you're sad, hold a pillow and cry into it --- and draw :)
If you're mad, hold a pillow and scream into it, or hit it on the floor --- or draw, of course!... lol. Get it out!
If you're hurt, cry and be understanding with yourself... reassure yourself.
If you're scared, hold the pillow for security and ground yourself in the reality that you are an adult, with adult options... and that you are making a commitment to be here for yourself and to protect yourself.
3. RITUAL CREATES HABIT
- Now that you have a ritual, your Safe Place will become your natural "go-to" (both literally and internally)
- Through this ritual, you will begin PRIORITIZING your relationship with your Little Girl (your deep emotional, instinctive, creative and intuitive self)
- Through this ritual, you will begin "re-wiring" your empathy with her (i.e. for yourself) --- you will RECOVER your CONNECTION with her :)
4. MAKE SURE YOU TAKE SOME TIME TO RE-ASSERT THE ADULT, AFTER YOU'VE SPEND SOME TIME GOING INWARD.
Before you get up from having spent this time, take a few deep breaths and re-ground yourself in the present moment, as an adult. Make sure it's your adult only, interacting with other people and moving about the world. Keep your little girl safe, within you, as adult you navigates :)
This is advanced work, but you're ready!
Keep me posted